Thursday, January 3, 2013

Towers and Bridges

A day at the Tower of London, and the Tower Bridge, which is not to be confused with the London Bridge, whose pre-1967 version has been sold and transported to Laka Havasu City, Arizona. And no, I'm not joking.


The tower itself is interesting, and not nearly as tower shaped as one would expect. Still the historic significance is impressive, as is the 1078 construction under our good old friend, William the Conquerer. One of my only disappointments is not that I can't get the guard to laugh, but that I can't the girls to do silly dances in public to try to make him laugh. I myself go for the worst possible version of the robot, with not so much as a smirk from the guard. However, I have succeeded in mortifying my children.
 
  
 

The exhibits are very knight-in-shining-armor, and there's even an artistic dragon to drive home the point.


There's no question it's a very boy-centric spot, though the girls and I certainly do find it interesting. We do not see the crown jewels, because the line is just way too long. But we do see some "crown jewels" if you get my not-so-subtle drift. I take these two photos, one inside the museum and one at a snack shop just outside, for my nephews and brothers-in-law, because if there's one thing I know about boys, it's that they never outgrow potty humor.

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment